An appreciation of Faroese language, literature and landscape

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Two Years of Learning Faroese

Faroese is something of a niche to students of language. Few people come by here. Some come to put an honest effort to learn Faroese, others come by to find a phrasebook or a dictionary, and maybe some come by just to read and connect with another appreciator of Faroese...

The Faroe Islands have received some attention in the press, often as a destination for travellers in awe of the beautiful and remote landscape with its turf-roofed houses. Others are connoisseurs of new-nordic cuisine, which is gaining ground in the capital. Many find a common interest in the burgeoning music scene, not to mention the G-festival; others still, the small but strong art scene that flourishes on a wee island out in the sea. Fewer still, come to appreciate Faroese literature, which is kind of what this blog has become about.

The Faroe Islands have never had mass appeal, and to be honest, that's not really a bad thing. It's probably what attract a lot of us to it. Not necessarily to say, ''we know something you don't know'', but to find something that isn't so easy, something that requires a little skill and ingenuity, and somewhere that requires patience and adventure.

Thankfully, we have great blogs and podcasts such as the Faroe Islands Podcast to promote it just enough to bring the Faroes to a truly appreciating audience. Without these podcasts and blogs, I may have driven myself a bit mad, as I patiently awaited my first arrival to the Faroe Islands. I listened to the sounds, the music, the news and, well, everything that was available. Most days, I still hear Workman's voice and cadence of speech, along with his collection of sounds, as I continue to explore Faroese life and landscape. My collection of Faroese maps have kept me in check too, even leading me astray most nights at home, despite their intended purpose of keeping me found. The maps have never ceased being a great source of inspiration for me; someone a little too obsessed with the landscape.

Since the beginning, Learning Faroese has become more than just an appreciation of the Faroese language. It has evolved into an appreciation of the Faroese landscape and weather, and especially of Faroese literature. As I spend my nights reading "The Faroe Islands: Interpretations in History", I'm fairly certain the breadth of this appreciation will only increase to include Faroese history, culture, politics and religion, as they helped define the Faroes and the distinct Faroese literature. And as I sit here, pondering the contents of my bookshelf, there appears to be much more to explore. The burgeoning collection of literature, booklets, maps and guides is enough to draw from. . . for now. And I look forward to the next few years, and hopefully a few visits to the islands, to help this appreciation grow.

Thank you Faroe!

No comments:

Post a Comment